Summer Employment Opportunities 2023
Two Administrative Assistant positions available
Location: AlgomaTrad Centre, Richards Landing
Start Date for both positions: June 26, 2023
Pay: $16.50 per hour, at 30 hours per week.
Term: 9 weeks
*NOTE: Theses positions are supported by the Canada Summer Jobs and Ontario Summer Experience program. As specified in the program requirements, the successful youth candidate:
– is between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment.
– is a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment.
– has a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of the employment and is legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial / territorial legislation and regulations.
The Algoma Traditional Music and Dance Group (AlgomaTrad) is a charitable organization dedicated to celebration, sharing, learning, and building inclusive community through traditional music, dance, arts, and heritage craft. Since 2004, AlgomaTrad has produced over 300 programs and events, including community dances, concerts, workshops, festivals, and its annual Family Camp. AlgomaTrad’s vision also includes leadership in environmental conservation and sustainability; respect for diverse cultures; acknowledgement and support for Indigenous relationship to the land and region; support for artists and makers, and food security and celebration. AlgomaTrad operates in the Central Algoma, east of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, and is currently developing a centre for heritage arts on St. Joseph Island
About the Administrative Assistant Position:
The Administrative Assistant will help to support AlgomaTrad’s current and upcoming summer arts programming, including a Summer Concert Series, Workshops, Music sharing sessions, the annual AlgomaTrad Family Camp, and will assist in site maintenance at the AlgomaTrad Centre on St. Joseph Island. Algoma Public Health COVID-19 restrictions and guidelines, if any, will be followed; in this case, the tasks and duties of the summer employee would operate in compliance with these guidelines.
Tasks and responsibilities:
· Work closely with artistic team to design and host programs throughout the summer
· Assist with tech support and participant engagement
· Help with outreach and promotion: social media posts, email, posters, local print media
· Outreach-related data entry, documentation, and evaluation
· Assist with site maintenance (i.e., Grounds Maintenance, garden care, cleaning, painting)
· Build positive relationship with local community members, organizations, and businesses, acting as an ambassador for AlgomaTrad and its work in helping to build inclusive community through arts and culture.
This position reports to and is mentored by AlgomaTrad’s Artistic Directors and Board members.
Skills, experience, and qualifications:
· Self-directed and reliable
· Organized with good attention to detail
· Comfortable working in a flexible, collaborative work environment
· Strong computer/digital skills (word processing, email, Google Drive, Zoom) are an asset
· Strong oral and written communication skills
· Enjoys working with people
· Creative, innovative thinker with good problem-solving skills
· Respect for diverse people and communities
· Committed to principles of anti-racism, inclusion, and equity
· Experience and/or training in Arts (Performing, Visual, Management) is an asset
· Client service experience is an asset, including volunteerism experience
· G-class license with access to reliable vehicle is an asset
· Ability to work a flexible schedule including some evenings and weekends
How to apply:
Please send a resumé and one-page cover letter outlining your skills, experience, and what you feel you would bring to our team and to this role. Please include phone and email contact details. Email documents in PDF format, with “Administrative Assistant” as subject line to email@example.com
Applications must be received by 11:59 pm on Friday, May 19, 2023
We appreciate all applications, but only those shortlisted will be contacted for an interview. Thank you.