AlgomaTrad 2021 Summer Programs
AlgomaTrad will be holding a series of summertime workshops and programs at the AlgomaTrad Centre 1249 F&G Line, Richards Landing, on St. Joseph Island. All programs and events will operate under Re-opening and Health and Safety guidelines provided by Algoma Public Health and Ontario Public Health, including masking, physical distancing, and cleaning protocols.
Blacksmithing – 4-weeks learn-at-your-own-pace program with mentor Denis Frechette, Tuesdays 6-9pm (July 13 start) ARE NOW FULL. There are spaces still left on Thursdays 2-5pm, (July 15 start). $100 for 4 weeks. Ages 14 and up, registration required.
Also, group booking opportunity on Saturdays starting July 17 – groups reserve a 3-hour time-period (like a blacksmithing birthday party for a group of adults!). 4-8 people. $25/person. Call 705 782 4311.
Wool Felting – with Dawn Allard. Limit 8 people per session, materials included.
- Beginner session (Geodes and Felted Rocks), 8 years to adult, on Monday, July 19, 1:30-4:30pm, $40/person. RESCHEDULED, TBA – this program is no longer available.
- Intermediate session (Felted Coin Purse), Wednesday, July 21, 1:30-4:30pm; $55/person.
- Beginner to Intermediate session (Eco-printed Mini-scarves and Felted Soap) on Friday, July 23, 10am to 4pm, $65/person. Registration includes materials. Bring your own lunch. This Program is now full. There is still room for the Beginner session, which is being rescheduled, tba.
- Wednesday, July 14 (beginner– Bird Feeder and Pouch Basket), $40 per person, 8 years to adult
- Thursday, July 15 (beginner/intermediate – Market Basket), $75/person
Heather Pepper is a local basket maker, who learned traditional basket weaving skills with both natural local materials and processed reed at AlgomaTrad workshops. She currently teaches public and private lessons to aspiring basket makers.
Ukulele and Songwriting – with facilitator Lindrena Newberry. Three days from Tuesday, July 20 to Thursday, July 22. Ages 8 and up, limit of 8 per class. FREE – funded by the Nicholas Missere Bursary Fund, donations accepted.
- Beginner ukulele from 10-11:00am. For anyone interested in learning the ukulele.You will learn basic chords so that you can play simple songs. By the end of the workshop, we will be able to play a song or two all together.
- Songwriting from 11:30am to 1pm. if you’ve ever wanted to learn how to write a song, this workshop is for you. Learn how to choose a chord progression, and how to write a song based off a certain topic. This workshop will allow for collaborative, as well as independent work.
Trad Jam Sessions – TBA – subscribe to the newsletter at the bottom of this page or check us out on Facebook “AlgomaTrad”. Masked, physically-distanced and sheltered outdoors.
The Picnic Table Challenge – Recruit your design-&-build team! Register and more info at algomatrad.ca/PicnicTableChallenge. Voting will occur August 9-14. Team with the most votes will be served an AlgomaTrad Centre gourmet meal at their picnic table for as large a group will fit seated around the table, date to be determined. Maker’s names will be woodburned into tables. Materials provided for up to 10 tables upon request. Charitable donation receipts available for tables completed with own material. Registration by July 15.
More info about all programs, call AlgomaTrad 705 782 4311 or 705 257 6106